We have never been to Berlin so love these tips from Mary Ann to help us plan a trip with our wee ones.
Berlin may seem like a very usual place, but if you travel there you're sure to find out it's a city like no other! Considering things you can do there, the experience is bound to be fantastic. There are a variety of family-friendly facilities like parks, playgrounds, indoor soft-play centers and much more to keep both you and your kids busy all day long. Just remember to prepare well for the trip earlier and buy everything you need on a budget price at Nordstrom with Discountrue.com or other couponing service, and start enjoying your trip!
Tips on what to do and places to visit
- Meet the Ampelmann! Originating in East Berlin, the little traffic light man that turns green or red is very famous in Berlin. Apart from the dedicated gift shops stocking Ampelmann goodies, there is even an Ampelmann restaurant in the German capital!
- Rent bikes for your entire family and visit any place you want in Berlin; from the Prenzlauer Berg, the Nikolaiviertel (Berlin’s historical quarter), circling the Reichstag (the German parliament), to the world-famous Brandenburger Gate and so many other places!
- Go up the Reichstag. Impressive may not be enough to describe the German parliament building; in fact, even magnificent is an understatement! After heavy damage during World War II, this spectacular piece of architecture underwent full renovation to become what it is today. You just need to visit and see for yourself in order to understand fully what we are talking about!
- The Bundestag Subway Station. Located only one stop away from the Berlin Central station, this is also a fabulous sight-seeing spot.
- The Berlin Wall. Visit the awe-inspiring East Side Gallery of the Berlin Wall and write on it as you relax with your kids on the beach.
- The Ost Strand or East Beach. This beach-like area created in the middle of Berlin, close to the river Spree, and is the perfect place to rest on the riverside’s relaxing chairs!
- The Oberbaum Bridge. This is another great spot to relax and do some sight-seeing. It is also located near the East Side Gallery and used to be on the border between East and West Berlin.
Where to eat in Berlin when visiting with kids
- Kiezkind: In addition to the great food and snacks, this eatery is also located next to an adventure playground where your kids can get paddling pools and ride-on toys!
- Prastergarten: Being among Berlin’s biggest beer gardens, this spot also has a large play area for kids. It is a fantastic place to swig on a local brew and munch on a hot dog as your children play in the winter sandpit.
- KaDeWe: This is arguably the smartest department store in Berlin. Its food halls will certainly make your mouths water! Get a fancy sausage, sushi or a salad as your little ones enjoy themselves in its spectacular toy department.
- Fassbender & Rausch Chocolate Shop: This is one of the most popular chocolate restaurants in Berlin, if not the most famous in the city! You can enjoy here some hot chocolate or even a 3-course chocolate-themed meal and we'll be sure you won't regret it.
Housetrip accommodation for families
Right from the doorstep of one of the largest parks in the German capital, Volkspark Friedrichshain, you are going to find a myriad baby- and toddler-focused accommodation options in the Alexanderplatz area that you can choose from, including Park Inn by Radisson Berlin Alexanderplatz, Motel One Berlin-Hackescher Markt, Ramada Hotel Berlin-Alexanderplatz and Ibis Styles Berlin Alexanderplatz. Alternative options in other areas include the Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof and Hackescher Markt, the Pullman Berlin Schweizerhof and the Novotel Berlin Mitte.
Mary Ann is a proud stay-at-home mom of 2 year old Rob and 7 year old Sue. She loves her family and their dog Spark more than anything. Although daily life may be a struggle sometimes, she always manages to get some time for a family trip and her biggest passion - writing.