When you love relaxing private river cruises, and you want to visit France, the only logical conclusion is to mix the two together. France is truly one of the few magical places where waterway holidays can be a real delight.
Of course, starting out with the preparation process isn’t going to be easy, and it’s important to make sure you have everything you need and that you are familiar with the best services in French river tourism.
The Preparation Process
If you’ve never been on a genuine European river cruise, you might find the list of things you need to do beforehand to be somewhat overwhelming. Fortunately, France offers far more advantages that are geared to favor beginning tourists with no previous experience with French river boats.
In principle, the following advice applies to most travelers who aim to get started with waterway holidays in La France:
- The first prerequisite to consider is that you have to plan your itinerary ahead very carefully. French private charter cruises often require you to be on time at locations that are somewhat hard to get to. So, even if you’re planning a flexible schedule, start your journey early, and prepare your route carefully to arrive at the location a little sooner.
- If you’re only accustomed to ocean cruises, it may be of use to study river cruise ships and their layouts. For example, you’ll see that there are far fewer decks and top deck is usually the most desirable to be on.
- Plan on spending more time in the ships’ cabins rather than staying at a hotel and booking shorter boat rides. In France, river boat cabins are much roomier, better built and more comfortable – not to mention that they offer an outstanding view of the French countryside, tranquil canals and peaceful landscapes.
- Keep track of local weather changes. If the water is too low, you might have to wait since it’s possible the cruise ship will not be able to sail. Staying up to date with the weather in France will also help you figure out what to pack. In most cases, it’s better to pack for comfort and leave anything too bulky behind.
- Don’t worry about getting seasick. River boats are much less problematic in that regard compared to ocean cruises.
The Profile of the Best River Cruise Service
Most people find that, even if they had no previous experience with boating holidays, luxury French cruises can provide everything you need for a truly memorable experience. From flexible options when it comes to fine French cuisine and wine, to amenities, to smooth sailing at speeds of just 8-10 km/h, the best French river cruise services will offer everything you need in terms of comfort and safety.
Of course, the best way to go is to choose a French company with experience and high quality boats that were made with France’s rivers and canals in mind. Nicol’s is one of the best, with over 35 years of experience in building and sailing impressive boats as part of French waterway holidays. If you want to sail with your family safely and in total comfort, Nicol’s is the leading service for holidays adapted to your needs and entirely safe and suitable if you’ve had no prior experience with river boat cruises.